Monday, October 24, 2011

Batting - 0!

It was cold and rainy, but I resisted the temptation to stay home (maybe tomorrow, though, if it keeps up).  However, the tourist gods were not with me, in spite of my bravery.  My focus was on the older part of Madrid, north of the central area, called the Districts of Maravillas and Chueca.  It is full of narrow streets and small squares, with a lot of architecture in what is called Madrid baroque.  However, every single spot of interest (including the History Museum, where I might have ducked in out of the rain, or the Romantic Museum, or the churches, likewise) were under construction.

This was but one of a myriad of sites I struggled to in the rain, to find my entry barred!

However, there were some consolations. 



Not too many statues of women about, so I took a picture of this one.

The squares were available, of course, including the one commemorating the May 2, 1808 uprising.




I stumbled on the gay district, which was of course full of young people and neat shops, trendy and interesting.  And just walking the streets, with the juxtaposition of old and new architecture is a treat, even in the rain.




I found the Ministry of Justice and the Supreme Court...





They still like Christopher Columbus here...



And, of course, every city has to have its Wax Museum


And no, I didn't go in, even to get in out of the rain.  I went to a wonderful old cafe, instead, for sustenance to see me home.  Maybe tomorrow I'll stay home....

No comments:

Post a Comment